Home » Black C-Listers

Obscure Black C-List Actors: Bokeem Woodbine

14 September 2007 20 Comments

I’m in a particularly hateful mood today, so everything I post will be full of stank nastiness until the weekend is officially here.Every Black C-Lister post I’ve done has been full of praise, but Bokeem Woodbine is one of the wackest actors ever. It’s not that hes a bad actor really, it’s more that he’s such an overactor that I can’t believe for one instant that he’s really the character he is playing. When I watch him, I feel like I’m looking at an example of what NOT to do, because every role he has he over-enunciates and screws his face up in the most disturbing way. He’s had supporting roles in Crooklyn, Dead Presidents, and guest starred on an episode of The Sopranos where he played a rapper named “Massive G” and it was just so, SO wack. The only time I’ve really been able to tolerate him was in his first role, Strapped, a film that was notable for being so cutting edge, and Life, where he played a deaf-mute. I can barely stand looking at this guy. He looks like something the KKK would use as anti-Negro hate propaganda. Apparently he’s pursuing a rock music career, which I will condone as long as I don’t have to see him acting again.

• Julian said:

The worst is when a scene requires him to cry. Tears are never actually released, and you’re in agony waiting on something to break that slave narrative intensity he has.

• Invisible Woman said:

Not slave narrative intensity…oh no!hahahaha

I was wondering what happened to dude; I was about to put out a milk carton alert on him…guess the rock thing keeps him really busy, cause he sho l’aint actin’…

• Nancy said:

HATE HIM! He was SO bad in Jason’s Lyric, ruining my otherwise completely perfect middle school wet dream (OMG that feet washin’ scene, and after, where the sidekick is all like ooo, i wish i had somebody who would wash MY toes) with his awful overacting while wielding a chainsaw. HATE HIM!

I can’t believe you just conjured Lisa Nicole Carson on my blog.

• Rupak said:

i did! you now know what you have to do – FBG her! she’s awesome!

• Nancy said:

again, i hate you, blogger…

• Julia_Claudine_Deveraux said:

Aww Thembi! I love me some Bokeem! I put him in my *so bad, he’s brilliant* category. He’s always good for some bootleg thespian shit lol.

• Mrs.Grapevine said:

He played crazy very well in Jason’s Lyric, and I am convinced he is Psycho or deranged. My friends and I use the word Bokeem, whenever we want to call a man crazy without him knowing.

Lisa Nicole Carson is more of a Where Are They Now…last I heard she was being nursed through a pretty rough case of schizophrenia…

• Dara said:

i cant really hate on bokeem cause his stellar performance on strapped – which aired EVERY friday night on BET in 1998 – got me through my loser days at the beginning of highschool.
    i just wish he’d get that gap fixed…

• Lola Gets said:

Lisa Nicole Carson is BiPolar, get it right!
    lol
    L

I suffer from perfectionism – did some quick research and found out she’s Bipolar AND schizo. Sheesh.

• Lisa C said:

I’m not crazy about his acting either. Now, Mrs. Grapevine said it right, he looked like he was playing himself in Jason’s Lyrics, crazy. (Which by the way is one of my favorite movies). I’d be interested in seeing his rock music gig, I’m into rock.

Btw, where is your blogrush widget?..lol! Thanks for spreading your love when you came over.

• Aaliyah said:

ok, i have to come to Bokeem’s defense. YES, he’s a horrible actor. and YES, i do believe he was playing himself in JASON’S LYRIC – which is one of my all-time favorites that my sister and I have a ritual of watching together at least once a year. BUT, i love what he gives me. raw, rough, anger – no matter what the role. there’s a space for that. i love you Bokeem!!!

• Q said:

I dont know you well and yet i hate you already for that, and for bringing blacklip woodbine right back to the tippy top of my consciousness

• bklyn6 said:

He looks like something the KKK would use as anti-Negro hate propaganda.

Bwahaahaahaa!

Gosh, I guess I don’t know his work very well. Whenever I think of him, I see the evil guy who kills (?) Shyheim in TLCs “Waterfalls” video.

I’ve got to pay more attention. Or, maybe not.

• Throwback Posts While I Catch My Breath | What Would Thembi Do? said:

[…] You know who gets on my doggone nerves? Bokeem Woodbine. […]

• Nicky said:

I love Bokeem! I’ve been wondering where he’s been! Who cares how well someone acts, he’s hot! And his Gap is sexy!! Love u Keem!!! Xoxo

• Nicky said:

And how dare you bring up KKK and slaves! What’s wrong with ppl f*ck!

• Angela frink said:

back off ma man… he is a good actor… jason lyric would not have a hit movie without him caught up is another movie that i thought he was particularly good in so back off!