Home » Celebutainment, Jacko, Long Live the Colored Race!

Be Black For Halloween!

26 October 2007 13 Comments

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday, which is extra-great for me this year because since the big day falls on a Wednesday there are more acceptable nights to party while wearing a funny hat. This year for one of my costumes I was thinking of being Whoopi Goldberg (this idea has since been shelved for its un-sexiness factor), so I did a quick search and found these:

Whoopi Goldberg has a Jheri Curl? Really, now?

I don’t look anything like Whoopi Goldberg but pretty much any black person could be believable as another black person without a mask. I then realized that there are probably all types of great ways to become your favorite black person through latex. Here are some of the best of what I found – everything from the ridiculous to the downright inaccurate. And by the way, what are YOU gonna be for Halloween?

SPORTS

Shaquille O’Neal, Mike Tyson, Tiger Woods, and Michael Jordan. Teeth are a serious issue with all of these. And why is MJ so freakishly shiny?

LEADERS

Condi Rice, Jesse Jackson, and Nelson Mandela. They did a great job of making Jesse and Condi look shady (if not constipated). I’d have to re-use that Mandela mask and be Morgan Freeman next year.

ENTERTAINMENT

Eddie Murphy, Will Smith, and Prince. Whoever made these should be ashamed of themselves. That Eddie Murphy mask looks like one of the tap-dancing Nicholas Brothers from the Cab Calloway era or something. Meanwhile, why is Prince all slack-jawed? He looks like Ol’ Mister from The Color Purple.

MICHAEL JACKSON

Michael always deserves a category of his own if you ask me. The one on the far right is really going to give me nightmares…

• My Name Is Marcus Langford said:

Yo! Yo! Yo!…Michael Jackson is lookin’ bad in ALL of these!

Why are those Michael masks when he was black!? LOL.

The Mind For Revolution Is Here

• Invisible Woman said:

Oddly (and sadly) enough, the Mike Jackson mask on the far right looks most true-to-life….great post :-)

• Another Conflict Theorist said:

Peace Sis,

It’s ALWAYS tricky when someone is trying to do a caricature of black people. We tend to take our images pretty seriously (unless, of course, we’re the ones producing those images – Flavor Flav!!!)

Anyway, I’m most disappointed in the “Prince” mask. Whose ass do I need to kick about that?

How could a Whoopi Goldberg mask without black lips be legitimate?

• AJ said:

Whoopie just ain’t looking right w/o the dreads….and what is that shine? Condi has the same expression she had when the protester approached her with the paint on the hands.

• Ray said:

You know the one on the far right is a right on image of Michael *sigh* I miss the black Michael.

• Cristin said:

The Will Smith joint is like that!

• Anonymous said:

Why do the Whoopi masks have eyebrows?

• ambboogie said:

awww…. this is soooooo.. fugged up…

• Ehav Ever said:

In terms of the Michael Jackson ones. Are we really sure those are masks, and not just pictures of the different stages of his plastic surgery? If we were to put the real Michael Jackson next to these masks would we know which one was the real one?

• MrsGrapevine said:

I can’t decide, it’s a toss up between Condi Rice, Mike Tyson, or Prince.

The prince mask looks like he fell asleep on his lips while in Prison. LOL, at Prince looking hard.

• justjudith said:

hhmm…these are really, really not accurate. they look NOTHING like the star. except for michael jackson, of course. the last mask really looks like a pic from a tabloid.

• Dara said:

i dont appreciate that half the masks are CLEARLY being worn by a white men IN the photos. double slap in the face.