Home » Fresh Black Girls

Fresh Black Girls: Regina King!

1 November 2007 16 Comments

Regina King is a perfect example of how black entertainers are simply not given their due – after over 20 years in the industry and roles in several big movies she still hasn’t headlined a film. Today I saw the commercial for the upcoming movie This Christmas featuring Regina King, Chris Brown, Idris Elba (yum), and a few young bland black girls with narrow features and really straight hair whose names I can never remember. In contrast to them, looking at Regina onscreen with all of her personality makes me so happy because she is just so BLACKGIRL – not Hollywood polished black but actual black-girl-freshness manifest. Maybe I was being overly-sentimental but she just made me want to get all excited about family and Christmas and blackness and bein’ myself. She started her career at age 14 playing Brenda on 227, and may have been a hair freak but she was all we had as far as sassy blackgirls on TV around 1986. She dredges up that ‘attitude’ for a role when she has to (the 40-ounce guzzling Iesha in Poetic Justice or Ice Cube’s sister Dana in Friday) but has also been in Oscar-winning blockbusters (Ray, Jerry Maguire) and is only 36 years old. I’m so glad I’ll still have her to look at in 30 years as opposed to, say, Lisa Raye. Regina King gets my vote for hardest working fresh black girl in Hollywood.

• Ill Mami said:

I love Regina. So cool in person, too.

• justjudith said:

she made jerry maguire for cuba.

• justjudith said:

that is to say, he owes his oscar to her. i bet y’all forgot he had one!

• 70ssoulchild said:

LOL @ justjudith! Yeah I think Boat Trip and his latest debacle pushed it out of my memory bank.

Yes I concur we need more Regina King on the big screen. I was a bit sad that she wasn’t in Why Did I Get Married.

Great blog, Thembi! My fellow C+D crew hipped me to you.

• hottnikz said:

I love her and that hair!

• AJ said:

I’ve always liked her too. For me, her best role was in Enemy of the State with Will Smith.

• coloredgirlswhohaveconsidered said:

I don’t know the politics of Hollywood, but it seems like Regina King has been slept on. Whatever role she plays, she never fails to deliver.

The only role Lisa Raye needs to play is big sister to The Brat. She needs bail her out of jail then drop her out of a plane onto that isle of hers, she if she bad enuf to bust a bottle in the face of one of those island woman, and walk away without a serious beat down.

• THE 78' MS. J said:

Man she is a fresh blackgirl and she is constant and a good actress to bad hollywood won’t ever give her her just due.

• THE 78' MS. J said:

• Julian said:

Not to mention she was the original Hood Feminist. She flew off the handle in two different films for being called a bitch…

1) Boyz N The Hood – “Why I gotta be a bitch?” Cube: “Cause you a bitch… bitch”

2) Higher Learning – “You called me a black bitch and you’s about to get your ass kicked!”

• Malcolm: said:

I used to get so mad when I would read an article about movie stars who got their start on TV. The articles would always fail to mention Regina. It’s a shame that she’s been doing quality work on the big screen for over 15 years and has never gotten a shot at headlining a major movie. I do give her credit for hanging in there and carving her own niche.

• Jippy said:

I love her! Let’s not forget her voice on The Boondocks (Don’t look at Quincy Jones, Quincy Jones cain’t help you!)and that new tampon commercial (Have a Happy Period!)

• Invisible Woman said:

I agree with ill mami…she is very cool, and much, much prettier in person–it’s unfortunate the screen doesn’t do her justice. Does anyone know what really happened with her and her husband? I mean the real story….

• coloredgirlswhohaveconsidered said:

@IW…I don’t know the story behind the divorce. But, she sure does seem happier. Like a new birth or something.

• MrsGrapevine said:

Regina King is worthy to be praised.

• Chocl8t said:

I’ve always liked Regina King. The fresh BlackGirl for real or she reminds you of your sister or best friend. She is as close as hollywood can get at representing the average beautiful black woman. No slight to Janet, Halle, or Gabrielle, but Regina is the WOMAN.

As for Lisa Raye…go sit down somewhere, please.