Home » Black C-Listers

Obscure Black C-List Actors: Miguel A. Nunez, Jr.

2 November 2007 13 Comments

Once again the c-list has forced my grumpiness to the surface. This, time, I was blindsided while nursing a hangover on Sunday afternoon, watching Top Chef reruns and chatting with Julian on the phone. Suddenly, Leprechaun 4: In Space comes on. Leprechaun? 4? IN SPACE? As the opening credits rolled, the first (and only) name I recognized was Miguel A. Nunez, Jr. As soon as I saw it I blurted it out to Julian and we laughed for a full 10 minutes about him and his career. Seeing his name as the FIRST one you recognize in the credits is a foreshadowing of wackness to come. Furthermore, can you imagine his agent handing him that script and being dead serious about it? After 10+ years in the game? Leprechaun 4, be damned. Miguel Nunez is the quintessential wack black c-list actor – his career has all of the signs. First, he had bit parts in a few movies (and actually played ‘the black guy who is clearly gonna die’ in 5 horror flicks), but black audiences know him best from a guest role on a sitcom – “Pretty Ricky what they called him” from Martin. Then he went on to a starring role in a black sitcom (remember Sparks with Terrence Howard? See how quickly the c-list becomes the a-list?) and then after continuing to grind in Hollywood finally gets his own, disastrous movie, Juwanna Mann. The title alone makes me cringe (why does Mann even need two n’s?), and black men cross-dressing as the entire premise of a movie makes me feel no better. This wackness aside, my personal condemnation of Miguel Nunez rests on three totally random things unrelated to his career arc. My first issue is his poor portrayal of Little Richard in Why Do Fools Fall in Love – I wasn’t expecting much but he actually distracted me from the rest of the movie. Throwing in an occasional “Whooo!” and making sure all of your sentences end with “y’all” is a Halloween costume, not a role in a motion picture. Secondly, his acting ability overall is highly suspect and coated with this showy cheesiness factor in everything he does (not sure if I prefer this to Bokeem Woodbine and his slave narrative intensity or not). Lastly, of course, is his hair. He’s Dominican which explains a lot of the um…flexibility he’s had with styles, but if it looks like quadroonery and quacks like quadroonery . . . be serious. What’s he been up to these last few years, you ask?

• Aaliyah said:

ok. reader confession. before i went to college (i’m from arkansas and oklahoma) i never knew the dominican republic existed. so each time i say miguel in a movie i was ALWAYS THOROUGHLY CONFUSED. my parents and i were like- Miguel Nunez? what kind of name is that for a n….? now that i’m educated i can stop scratching my head on that one.

• Aaliyah said:

whoops i meant **saw miguel in a movie**. maybe that harvard degree hasn’t paid off. damn.

• Julian said:

Sparks was a good show!…

…….. i tried.

• justjudith said:

hilarious post. that’s all i got…

• Malcolm: said:

I had forgotten that Terrence Howard was in “Sparks”. You are right on about Miguel’s woeful performance as a young Little Richard in “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”.

• justjudith said:

also, i love the bokeem woodbine observation LOL. spot on.

• shelbyinitalia said:

there are a lot of great men starring in chitlin’ circuit plays these days… dare i say ryan gentles? ring a bell?

• Qucifer said:

I’m shamed that he comes from my homeland, I’m shamed for his wackness, I’m shamed that he is doing chitlin circuit plays

I’m going to drink a beer due to that

• Gigi said:

I’m ashamed to say that I was just watching Juwanna Man on cable last week…

• Dara said:

i just decided that this dude is nick cannon’s uncle.
    yep, that sounds about right.

• otilia said:

is that lavita, cedric’s girlfriend from the steve harvey show on that poster??

just looked it up. yes, yes, it is. wow, that’s quite a lineup.

• Anonymous said:

I know I’m really late with this, and I’m no fan of Miguel Nunez’s body of work.
    But you HAVE to give him props for his role as a gay prisoner in Martin and Eddie Murphy’s movie, “Life.” Fricken Hilarious! I think he was playing Bernie Mac’s prison boyfriend.

• jazzfan360 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA so I’m not the only one who yells “Pretty Ricky!” every time he shows up? Just that one appearance, and that’s totally who he’ll always be to me. There’s some white band nowadays called Pretty Ricky and I always wondered if they got it from there.

AMEN on the “showy cheesiness factor.” You used the perfect term for his acting ability, “highly suspect,” ’cause he’s never really been in a role where he got a shot at being really decent.

My god, he was so horrible in Street Fighter…but then, anyone who knows the video games knows he was WILDLY miscast as Dee Jay and that character was screwed over in the script. But it was a horrible script and a horrible movie anyway.