Home » Music, Old School Fridays

Old School Fridays: Kid’s Groups

27 June 2008 14 Comments

I’ve finally decided to do a weekly internet meme, one that is perfect for lots of the random things going through my head. It’s called Old School Fridays. Created by Ms Grapevine and MarvalusOne, the goal is to post music that comes from some time before 1999 according to a group theme. This week, the theme is “Kid’s Groups.” Click to here to join in and be sure to check out other participants’ entries listed after the video.

The older I get the more I realize that there are some badass lil’ fresh kids out there and I simply was not one of them. So my take on this week’s theme is going to be bad fresh lil’ kids.

For some reason this song popped into my head as soon as the weather got warm and it keeps coming back. There’s something about the summer that brings the lost genre of booty bass to my mind. I know that makes me mentally ill, but please let me know if you remember The Puppies’ 1994 off-key jam “Funky Y-2C.” I’m sure these kids are either on the pole or still trying to break back into the business.

Ok to be fair, The Dogs were not a kid’s group, but do you remember this evil song and video from 1991, and these mean little children from “Your Mama’s On Crack Rock?” Really, what a thing to say!

Again I have to bend the rules. The Boyz weren’t generally fresh kids, but they played a foul group of youngsters called “Mice To Men” in their 1990 appearance on A Different World . Here, they perform “Crazy,” which was my JAM in fifth grade. I really let that tape rock til’ the tape popped. Watch until the end of the video to see the sort of sass that I’m now magically old enough to get from youngsters!

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said:

Hey Thembi!!
    {raised fist}

I am sure that you will not remember this group….since I am a bit older than all the folks who come to this blog…I’m a Gen-Xer…but to you remember these little dudes who sang a song called “PLAYGROUND” and they were a group produced by Bell-Biv-Devoe?

{chuckles}
    Lisa

• MsMarvalus said:

Hey Thembi!

Welcome to the fray…glad to have you! Very original and good choices…I haven’t heard these songs in ages…

I will add you to the distribution list…

Happy OSF!

• ShAĆ© - ShAĆ© said:

You’ve definitely schooled me! I’ve never heard of The Dogs or The Puppies, but that Funy Y2C is some’n serious for them little kids to be singing & dancing to. LOL Sounds like little a Uncle Luke (is that Luke’s son?)

-S

• Vivrant Thang said:

Welcome!

You started the party off riiiight with some really original picks. I actually remember both those jams. “Your Mama’s on crack rock! Not my Mama!”

I have the Boys “Crazy” as well, but I posted the video. That was da jammmm! I had the biggest crush on Hakeem, who has aged quite nicely. I can’t believe they are still making music.

@Lisa- You’re talking about Another Bad Creation, which was my other choice.

• Hagar's Daughter said:

I only remember The Boys. Original picks this OSF – jam on!(tee hee)

Happy OSF.

• Hagar's Daughter said:

I only remember The Boys. Original picks this OSF – jam on!(tee hee)

Happy OSF.

• Wanda said:

I SO remember “Yo Mama’s On A Crack Rock” playing on The Box when I was a kid. I thought it was pretty funny then, but now it is kinda mean.

• MrsGrapevine said:

OOOoohh, you should be ashame, or maybe I should because I use to do the funky watusi dance, not knowing the video was preparing me to grow up to be a video vixen. Luckily I had a great mama or else, I’m sure some of these girls were in Luke videos later in life.

• miss kate said:

get out of my head! I’ve had that “Funky Y-2-C” song in my head all week (yeah, poor me, right?) and thought no one else on earth remembered it. We thought that video was sooo scandalous…but I guess today’s video chicks had to train somewhere.

• QueenK.D.W.-BK86 said:

Is Lisa talking about ABC (Another Bad Creation)? I was actually thinking bout them today. LIl boys in my kindergarten class you to belt out Iesha to this girl who was in like sixth or eighth grade.

And the episode with The Boys on A Different World is a classic. As is the one with Kris Kross.

• pjazzypar said:

I actually have a relatively new CD by group formerly know as The Boyz who now record as the Suns and live in Ghana. It is a good CD too.

• Izzy said:

thanks to the Funky Y-2 C we have a plethora of teenage mamas with screaming chirren’ while their baby daddies still hanging at the park talking about “drop to the ground and get funky” to the next crop of lil girls just looking to be noticed

• Eb the Celeb said:

I used to love the boys and still listen to them from time to time now… but I will never admit to liking that crack rock song…SMH!

• Anonymous said:

That first video was rediculous! I do remember the song but not that raunchy video. Where were the parents?