Home » Fresh Black Girls, Politics

Fresh Black Girls: Malia and Sasha Obama!

26 August 2008 8 Comments

Imagine having spent the majority of your short life watching your father campaign to be the first black president of the United States. Malia and Sasha Obama, at the ages of 10 and 7, are simply used to it by now. The Obama girls can’t possibly have any idea what a messed-world world their father is in the running to lead, they just know that, in Malia’s words “those people aren’t here to see me. I’m just a kid … They just think I’m cute. I wave and smile and then I’m out of there.” You see, the Obama Girls are mostly busy being well-rounded young ladies; they play soccer and piano, participate in dance and drama, and do well in school. The fact that daddy is running for President is simply a sidenote, part of being an Obama. This unique experience, when combined with heavy doses of good home training from Mom and Dad, makes them instant Fresh Black Girls in my book. They exude a charismatic blend of innocence and self-awareness that makes me so excited to watch them grow-up in the coming years. The Obama Girls are effortlessly loyal to their family and I fully expect each to play her own distinctive role in black American life in the future, creating an Obama family dynasty that will rival that of the Kennedys. Poltics aside, little blackgirls need Malia and Sasha in their lives right now; if even a handful of our young ladies try to be like Malia instead of imitating the too-grown mess they see in music videos, black America will be a better place. And did I mention that there are gonna be all kinds of cute little cornrows and twists in the White House? How can we not be excited about the Obama Girls!

• Reginald Dorsey said:

Do/did Barack and Michelle even have to fill out the application for Jack and Jill? I doubt it. These girls are gonna be up there with Prince/King Akeem and Lisa Joffer’s kids.

• Malcolm said:

While watching the DNC last night, the highlight for me was watching the Obama girls unscripted moments when they talked to their daddy via satellite. I never thought about it until now, but if Obama serves 1 or dare we dream two terms, Malia and Sasha could prove to be very influential on young people all over the world.

• Ginneh Akbar said:

I love them! As a parent it just melts my heart when I see these girls and how they interact with their parents. It is really beautiful and touching.

• Don said:

Michelle Obama is one classy black woman.

• Treina said:

Amen!

• Regina said:

They are the cutest! Very well behaved in public, but then I would imagine Michelle don’t play!!

• Anonymous said:

Congrats Sasha and Malia!

Enjoy this song “Little Girl” by E. Walter Smith as a dedication to you and your father!

• ifeoma odukwe said:

i love this family so much, especially the little girls, they are my ideal family, the love shared between them makes me feel happy again.