Home » Black C-Listers, The Black Archives

Obscure Black C-Listers: Michael Warren

8 August 2008 10 Comments

There are a few older black gentleman who I just find so handsome. Michael Warren, whether I see him in old school roles like his most famous as Bobby Hill on Hill Street Blues, or as Joan’s father on Girlfriends, he is just so genetically sound, smooth, and has this boyish twinkle in his eye to boot. I think this quality is what makes him great for playing an older playboy type – he had a recurring role on the short-lived black hospital drama City of Angels, on In The House as Debbie Allen’s ex-husband, and as Kadijah’s rolling stone papa on Living Single. What you may not know is that Michael Warren was an All-American basketball player at UCLA on the same championship team as Lew Alcindor aka Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Not only that, but his son, Cash Warren (one of those biracial types that you wouldn’t guess is black unless you were really paying attention) married Jessica Alba earlier this year and made Michael Warren grandfather to a super-celebrity, racially ambigous baby.

Did you think I’d miss the chance to talk about my favorite sitcom episode of all time (again)? Of course not – Michael Warren also played the minister who presided over the almost-wedding between Whitley and Byron on A Different World. Check out this video if the photo above doesn’t jog your memory quite enough:

• Regina said:

Wow, I really had no clue that Alba’s husband was Warren’s son! Interesting!

• Invisible Woman said:

I had no idea that was his son…good work, Thembs!

• Bonnie said:

Hi Thembi!

I just made the connection between Michael and Cash maybe a week ago. They actually look alot alike.

I ADORE this clip and this episode. Just saw it a few weeks ago late night. Still gives me goosebumps and I love the way Ron jumps up to help his boy when the ushers are trying to hold Dwayne back. Great episode!

• Undercover Black Man said:

Oh snap! Count me among those who didn’t know about Cash Warren.

Now check out how hamsome Michael Warren was in his youth… BANG!

• (fŭng'kē) [blak] [chik] said:

see people didn’t believe me when i tell them that was his father…lol

• blackink said:

I’ve been telling folks for a couple years now that Michael Warren was the daddy of Cash Warren. Now I can pass this along as proof. Thanks, Thembi.

Btw, that scene from Different World was a classic. That’s some powerful black love there – “Baby, please! Please!” Gotta love Dwayne Wayne.

• blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said:

Hey Thembi!

Now THAT is interesting….

And I forgot that before there was wholesome looking Denzel to swoon over…that there was Michael Warren….

(smiles)

Lisa

• Malcolm said:

My favorite Michael Warren moment is from the TV movie “Stompin’ At the Savoy” when he said to Vanessa Williams, “You better not be popping yo’ chops to no other nigga but me”. Me and my sister still quote that line to this day. Yet another movie that I wish they would release on DVD.

• msladydeborah said:

I watch episodes of Hill Street Blues on My Yearbook. Michael was a good looking brother then and he still is.

• tracey c. smith said:

08 21 2009

Michael Warren was so sweet and funny on “Hill Street Blues” (1980’s TV show) and I like him on “Hill Street Blues.”

Tracey C. Smith