Home » Old School Fridays, The Black Archives

Old School Fridays: Favorite Male Singer!

22 August 2008 13 Comments

I have a theory that Stevie Wonder is black folks’ Jesus on Earth. Think about it: if you’re not religious in a churchy way then the closest thing to worship you get is really grooving on some Stevie Wonder music. You can say you’re not into Stevie Wonder, but no one says they don’t like his music, for it would be near-blasphemy. I think it’s because Stevie is there for all of our emotions, explaining our feelings through song in a way that we don’t even know how to request. When I was growing up the members of my family would all dance in the living room to “Happy Birthday” on each of our birthdays, and I still consider it the gold standard for birthday songs. When I was nine I sang “Part Time Lover” in a booth at Six Flags and was so embarrassed by it that I hid the tape from everyone. During a bout of unrequited love in college I’d sit in my room with the lights dimmed, burning incense and listening to “Overjoyed” on repeat. When I lived in France, and everything black American seemed a million miles away, “Another Star” would come on in the discotheque and I’d be home again. And the list goes on, and on, and on. I can always connect with my parents’ generation, and in doing so with a sense of belonging and blackness itself, through some Stevie.

I usually hate to post “fake videos” but 1980’s “All I Do” from Hotter Than July is an extra special Stevie jam. Why? Stevie originally wrote this song at the age of sixteen for Tammi Terrell, and Michael Jackson and Eddie Levert are singing the background vocals!

Bonus: Only the best guest star appearance in the history of televison, Stevie Wonder on The Cosby Show singing “I Just Called To Say I Love You” with Phylicia Rashad!

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• Regina said:

Excellent choice Ms Thembi!! I love “All I Do”
    Have a great weekend!

• Niccolo' said:

Thank you Thembi… thank you! I know someone that keeps saying: "Stevie needs to sit down!". Wanna know who? Just call ur friend up in Harlem! Something needs to be said, especially if Santogold is in heavy rotation and "All I Do" or "You & I" are not even listed in shuffle mode. Booooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Kellybelle said:

Did not know that “All I Do” trivia! “You. Made. My. SOUL! A. Burning. Fiiiiiiiire!” Makes me love the song all the more.

• MsMarvalus said:

Thank you sooo much for the trivia and the Stevie…every Stevie Wonder song becomes an instant favorite…I don’t think this man can make bad music…and I totally agree with you about him being Black folks’ Jesus…true, true…

• pjazzypar said:

I love Stevie and “All I Do” is a great choice. One of my favorites by him is “That Girl”. Happy OSF!

• SjP said:

Can never go wrong when it comes to Stevie! Much obliged for stopping by earlier today.

• MrsGrapevine said:

OK, so I’m going to bring out my best of and collection CDs. I thought about Stevie, but he has too many hits, I couldn’t figure out which one to play…

I love these two choices. “Jammin On the One…Robert…I don’t know what to say”….

“I don’t know what to say, but I do know what to play”…”Candy”…

Ok so I re-acted the whole episode on your blog.

Anyway, Happy OSF! Great Picks!!!

• ShAĆ© - ShAĆ© said:

Aw man, you hit me with the 1,2 punch with that Cosby throwback. Nice touch. And I feel you on the ‘fake videos’. I hate when I have to do that (and I did this week too) but sometimes the song is just TOO good not to post.

• Don said:

Yes, Stevie Wonder was and is definitely that deal. The song Stay Gold is a favorite of mines.

• Marcus LANGFORD said:

This is one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs and that Claire Huxtable collaboration is a classic and it’s crazy to think that Phylicia Rashaad truly does have a beautiful singing voice.

:::Marcus LANGFORD:::

• The Love Collective said:

Stevie is in my top 3 musicians of all time list.

• msladydeborah said:

Being a fan of Stevie’s since Fingertips was first released~you are on point with this one.

IMHO, he is still one of the best songwriters in the world.

Good choice!

• otilia said:

oh yes, have definitely played “overjoyed” on repeat over failed love…