Home » Music, Old School Fridays

Old School Fridays: Rock Music!

8 August 2008 8 Comments

Shae-Shae beat me to it, but I still have to post a Queen song. I’ve been a Queen superfan since around 2000, when I inherited one of their Greatest Hits albums and realized how gifted the lead singer Freddie Mercury was. He had an amazing voice and presence, and after dying of AIDS in 1991 he became symbol of the epidemic and legitimate social icon. I could go on all day about Queen, but instead I’ll let you listen to my very favorite song of all time, 1981’s “Under Pressure” by Queen and David Bowie. This is the bassline that Vanilla Ice stole for “Ice Ice Baby,” but once you get over that association it’s such great music. I’m posting the live version because Bowie and Mercury are so fly.

Back in my private school days you couldn’t tell me NOTHIN’ about Bret Michaels, the lead singer of Poison. You couldn’t pay me to watch VH-1’s “Rock of Love,” now but in fourth grade I was pretty sure that Bret and I would someday be husband and wife. All of you parents out there should really think about the possible psychological effects of socializing your child around lots of white people, and think really hard. Anyway, at least I’m not ashamed to still play 1988’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn,” and dream about the old Brett, not the updated crusty breast-wrangler that he has become.

There’s not much to say about Faith No More’s “Epic,” except that I think those clowns Limp Biskit owe a lot of their popularity to taking this 1990 hit and making an entire genre out of it. Watch for the flopping goldfish!

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• Kim said:

Thembi, I think even the most hip-hop loving black person, has love for Queen. I too am a super stan for Freddy Mercury. I remember watching Live Aid 85 (I sat there all day and night waiting for George Michael) and being WOWed by Freddy and Queen’s performance. I was so upset when he died. And I remember he died like a day after he publicly announced he had the disease.

As for Poison, I dug them too. Although I thought they were a bit lightweight. But Every Rose Has Its Thorn was one of my faves. Now imagine being a college Freshman at a HBCU with George Michael posted on the wall and playing poison at the same time. I’m sure my roommate, thought I was some confused wanna be white girl. LOL!

And I totally forgot about Faith No More, but you are right about Limp Biscuit stealing their swagger.

• Invisible Woman said:

We were most def sisters in another life…I was 3 seconds from posting this one under David Bowie–tho it is my favorite Queen song! :-)

• Invisible Woman said:

btw, also totally adore Faith No More….

• Regina said:

Happy OSF! All Great choices but I am partial to Queen! Awesome!
    Have a great weekend!

• bklyn6 said:

I was on a Queen binge earlier this year.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE “Under Pressure.” (Of course it’s on my mp3 player.) It’s the reason why I liked “Ice, Ice Baby.” And I love George Michael’s performance with Queen on “Somebody to Love.”

The other day a friend emailed a link re: Queen guitarist Brian May. He’s Dr. May now. He recently got his PhD in astrophysics! *swoon* Now, that rocks!

• MsMarvalus said:

Maybe there is a connection between Queen and hip-hop…whatever it is, all I know is that I LOVE Freddie Mercury…when I heard Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time, I was simply blown away at the…theatre of it all…

I never liked Poison and thought Bret Michaels a lightweight…a rip off on Jon Bon Jovi…sorry.

Digging your choices…I said earlier: I had no idea Queen would rule the day…I am amazed and pleased…

Have a great weekend!

• Malcolm said:

The bass line in “Under Pressure” is right up there with the one for “Another One Bites the Dust”. Queen w/ Freddie Mercury is one of those bands that I wish I could have seen live.

The only way I would check out “Rock of Love” is if I could be guaranteed that Bret Michaels would take off the bandana and reveal whether or not that’s his real hair. Personally, I think the bandana and hair are attached to each other.

Speaking of Limp Bizkit, did you hear that lead singer Fred Durst is now a director? He called the shots for the upcoming film “Longshots” starring Ice Cube and Keke Palmer.

• Vanessa said:

Freddie Mercury was one of the most dynamic voices of the century… Queen was so original and unpredictable. “Somebody to Love” and “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” are my favorite.

And although he’s a little creepy, you’re right about David Bowie being fly.