Home » Music, Old School Fridays

Old School Fridays: Disco!

5 September 2008 10 Comments

Second only to the Japanese, the French seriously crack me up. To this day, few cultures have set a higher bar when it comes to the art of the snug-fitting garment. Sheila & B. Devotion’s “Spacer,” was produced by Niles Rodgers from Chic in 1980, and has since been sampled for a few not-so-macho dance hits by Alcazar and Mika. In case you’re wondering, the “B” in “B. Devotion” stands for “Black.” Why is that you ask? Just watch.

I didn’t know anything by Odyssey except “Native New Yorker“, but when I first heard “Inside Out” last year it instantly became one of my favorite songs. Produced by Slave in 1982, “Inside Out,” is really little more than a remix of “Watching You.” What makes this version new and improved are the subtler elements: the richness of the lead singer’s voice, the addition of that hot little bass twang, and the cheatin‘ bad girl lyrics speaking to a situation most of us have been in at least once. I’m not sure if this is technically disco or funk, but listening to it makes me want to put on a terry cloth onesie and go roller skating, which means that it’s disco enough for me.

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• ShAĆ© - ShAĆ© said:

The first track is new to me but somehow seems familiar. But Nile Rogers was the man LOL. I enjoyed that video.

• MrsGrapevine said:

Is she devoted to black men??? This video is creepy, is that kin kong’s hand? do I need to be on something to watch this video? is this where andree 3000 gets his inspiration?

So many questions, why do all the disco songs sound like re-makes of each other?

I actually like both choices, but the videos are killers…

• Invisible Woman said:

Inside Out is Watching You? Hmmmm ….don’t know bout that one Thembs. What I do know is that I love both songs as much as one could….thanks for exposing folks to Odessey!

@IW
    I’ve been on this orignal samples binge and trust me, the tracks are the same. Just listen! Its actually on the verge of depressing lol

• MsMarvalus said:

That first video is um…strange, to say the least…

But the songs are good, and shouldn’t it about the music?

Great picks!

• Julian said:

Now THOSE are what I call music videos.

• donald said:

see, this is why you are my sister. ive been feeling this track for a minute but i can neve rget a hold of it. watching you is my joint but this is the other half of the snoop and pharel “lets get blowed” joint. props

• donald said:

its the baseline thats the same. the rest is rendition and remix

• Martin Lindsey. said:

Terry cloth onsie? So that’s what those things were called. Good to read fellow old head bloggers like you Thembi.

• mechell said:

yes I love it could not get into that whole spacer thing I was just confused but inside out definitely my thing I am a deep disco head (aka deep house in chicago) and it is huge here. keep it coming