Home » Old School Fridays

Old School Fridays: One-Hit Wonders!

24 October 2008 14 Comments

I wasn’t kidding about the carpal tunnel situation but themes like these are the stuff that WWTD is made of, so I’m going against doctor’s orders for this one post.

So many songs were big hits on the hip-hop/r&b charts but never did much in the mainstream, and those are the jams that go through my head on a daily basis. Just because old white ladies weren’t dancing to it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a “hit”! This blog is all about minutia – flash-in-the-pan actors, rappers, and singers just intrigue me. I’ve posted more one-hit wonder videos than I can even count. That said, here are my personal one hit wonder favorites that haven’t made their way onto this blog yet. My arm is hurting so I’ll be brief.

“Gangsta Lean” – DRS, 1993.
Carhartt n’ Skullies, Homie! Pour a lil’ of that forty out for Easy E! Songs about urban mourning somehow manage to endure regardless of quality.

“Danger”- Blahzay Blahzay, 1996. Blunts n’ Tims, Son! It’s all about the East! This is one of the last real hip-hop anthems of the Golden Age.

“Shorty Swing My Way,” – K.P. & Envyi, 1997.
Patchwork Jeans n’ Dark Brown Lipstick, Shawty! Remember when Atlanta/Quad City bass was all the rage? I don’t miss it much…contrary to popular opinion that is not Khia of “My Neck My Back,” fame, but Palow Da Don is in this video, see if you can spot him.

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• Reginald Dorsey said:

Blahzay Blahzay was in front of me trying to get into some club near Times Square back in like 2004. It was dumb cold that night and they had all of us wating forever. He got to the door and tried to name drop, tawm’bout “yo, I’m Blahzay Blahzay, I should be on the list.” The young girl working the list showed no visible signs of recognition or give-a-fuck regarding him or who he was. As far as she was concerned, he was just one more grimy Brooklyn cat trying to invade the bourgie spot of the moment.

• Reginald Dorsey said:

Dammit, I responded without reading the whole thing. I didn’t see Shawty Swing my Way!!!!!

Okay, a few things:

#1. I was/am/will be intrigued by Envyi for many years. I only recently had it confirmed that she is, in fact, a negress. I always thought she had a black thing about her, and I swore I could see echoes of an African past all up in her nasal/cranial zone. Plus she had body and rhythm. Okay, I had a serious Envyi phase, I’ll just admit it (my conditioning has been conditioned, I know.)

#2. This was the kind of good southern Hip-Hopishness that I always dug. This was very similar to Ghetto Mafia (a 2-hit wonder, I believe), circa 1999, a year and a half after this.

#3. Sleepy Brown is also in video.

• J said:

I remember around the time DRS came out there was this Gangsta R&B thing bubbling up that never took off. I mean, there's something intrinsically un-gangsta about singing. This was my jam tho. I was definitely tipping my Mystic Iced Tea to people's memory.

• Reginald. Dorsey said:

@J,
    I used to break of a corner of a piece of cornbread to folks’ memory. This was when I was hot, heavy, and deep in my “Beans, Collard Greens, and Cornbread” period.

• Vivrant Thang said:

I had to get up, close my office door and blast Dangerrrrrr and Shawty swang my wayyy. Two tracks that were on heavy rotation during my college years. Gangsta Lean was right on time for my uncle’s funeral. You are a mess. Good stuff. LOL!

• donald said:

i resent that. kp and that redbone jawn , who’s name i dont know, are not one hit wonders… this was not a hit.sike naw. showty swing my way is an atlanta classic.

• ListenToLeon.net said:

The best part of Gangsta Lean is when dude takes it to church!

“MY GAWD! MY-Y GAWD!!”

LOL I need to take part in Old School Friday next week!

• blackink said:

For whatever reason, Backspin on Sirius Radio seems to play “Danger” at least twice a day. And I can never get enough of it. Not to mention, I still get hype seeing the Jeru cameo in the video.

I need to get that joint as a mp3 file. I still have it as one of those $.99 single casettes … true old-school.

• MsMarvalus said:

Wow…some true classics here!

• bklyn6 said:

Palow Da Don aka Meerkat Da Don.

Gosh, I never made the connection!

• Anonymous said:

<3 <3
    shorty swing my way
    funky house DJs over here in england are ruining this song with shitty remixes
    PS: is that girl white or reeal yellah, its always confused me lol

Gangsta lean reminds me of "its so cold in the d"

• singlikesassy said:

I KNOWWWWW you did not put up Shawty Swing My Way. I am always randomly singing this song for some reason. LOL!

• Malcolm said:

Man, I haven’t heard “Gangsta Lean” in years. I like it when the one member sings, “Tell ’em to put them dice down for a second lord”.

• jazzfan360 said:

Haha the dice is def the best part. And LMAO @ “urban mourning.” “Gangsta Lean” and “Crossroads,” I never think of one without the other.