Home » Long Live the Colored Race!, My Life, Politics

Finally.

4 November 2008 11 Comments

I intended to stay silent today because there’s not much to talk about except for the frustrated anticipation that goes with all of our hopes for a late night victory celebration and four years of capable government. I’m a natural skeptic and have never been all that much into politics, but I do believe that an Obama presidency will lead to at least some change. If Barack Obama wins this election, the United States will enjoy a significantly better image abroad. A Michelle Obama first-lady-ship will re-invigorate fashion and beauty ideals. A Malia and Sasha first kid-ship will boost the morale of little black girls. Maybe we’ll be a little less mired in the past, a little prouder to draw distinctions among different shades of the black experience, and across the board, we’ll all feel way more empowered. I really do believe it, and I can’t wait.

I’ve tried not to be a sap about it all, but part of me wants to cry, just so I can tell my little nieces and nephews about what this day felt like without having to embellish reality with falsified emotion. Just when I wasn’t sure the waterworks would happen, a co-worker forwarded me this video, which made me love black folks even more, made me think of my grandmother, and made me proud to be an American all at once. Take a look and please, no matter how patient you have to be waiting in lines or how much you think your vote doesn’t count in your state, just go and vote. Even if it’s just to have something to say in twenty years or get a free Ben & Jerry’s scoop of ice cream.

This video launches on its own so go here to view it.

• blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said:

Hey there!

Ladies and gents….

We have elected a Kenyan-American president….Toot’s grandson:

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA
    44th President of the United States

And we’re movin’ on up!!

• Qucifer said:

its just such a beautiful happy moment!

• Kellybelle said:

Wha what! Ohio! Yeah! Hallelujah!

• Kim said:

I think my baby brother said it best, today is a National Black Holiday. When I looked at my sleeping two-year-old daughter, last night I was so thankful that I don’t have to lie to her when I tell her that she can TRULY be anything she wants to be. My baby girl can be the President if she chooses too. Thank you President Obama.

• cinco said:

Thank you President Obama, Michelle and daughters for truly being the gracious people that you seem to be.

I remain overwhelmed today @ work, even after staying up till the early hours of the morning. No regrets!!!!!

• Boris(uk) said:

no can we please stop this Maury shit black people. lets be like barry/mich(lolz) and act decent now. lol the hillbillies in my town dont know he won ahaha

now he just needs to stop these wars and get the world out of this recession coz the Dow is still going down

that speech made me cry tho

• Miriam said:

A truly historical moment.

• nelo said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Malcolm said:

If a woman who was born before the invention of the car can get out and vote, people who didn’t exercise their right better have a damn good reason.

• Hey Shae! said:

I’m cosigning with Malcolm. I tried not to be frustrated with people I know who were actually registered but still didn’t vote since the outcome was in our favor, but it just shows how much work we still have to do. *sigh*

• Eb the Celeb said:

we got free starbucks in nyc…

but this lady… I was so inspired when I saw a lady just like her, walking and all being helped into the gym and when in to vote… it must mean so much to them… it made me call my 86 year old grandmother and talk to her… she had just come from voting and her spirit was so dynamic…with all the things she’s seen in her life, she never thought she would live to see the day