Home » Old School Fridays

Old School Friday: Christmas Music

19 December 2008 10 Comments

I’ve been a Scrooge so far this year, so hopefully posting some of my favorite Christmas jams will get me into the spirit.

In retrospect, TLC’s “Sleigh Ride” from 1993 sounds like straight parody. Between that soon-to-be classic TLC dance and the vocal arrangement, if In Living Color had done a “what if TLC had a Christmas song,” skit this video would be the result. Pay special attention to the tattered overalls they’re rocking towards the end…

Ok, every year I look forward to hearing the Puff Daddy and The Family verision of “Santa Baby.” I only have Onyx’s portion of the video but what’s clear is that Justine Simmons is singing the hook, and Salt N’ Pepa, Mase, and Run DMC all represent on this 1997 latecomer to my canon of Christmas faves. You can grab the mp3 here.,

Last but not least, it isn’t Christmas without the television specials. From Charlie Brown to John Grin’s to one of my favorite A Different World episodes, Christmas television is what has always made it Christmas in my couch potato latch-key kid life. So whatchu know about A Claymation Christmas Special? In 1987 we had the nerve to be all over some singing dried grapes (who were clearly of Negro extraction). Even if you don’t remember seeing this as a kid take a look, it’s adorable.

Check Out Other Old School Friday Participants!
1. MrsGrapevine 2. Marvalus 3. Regina 4. Marcus Langford 5. Quick 6. Chocl8t 7. Cassandra 8. Kreative Talk 9. Lisa C 10. Invisible Woman 11. Vivrant Thing 12. Shawn Williams 13. Electronic Village 14. Hagar’s Daughter 15. Danielle Vyas 16. DP 17. Dee 18. FreshandFab 19. LaShonda 20. AJ 21. Sharon 22. Believer1964 23. Shae-Shae 24. Danielle 25. sjp 26. msladydeborah 27. Thembi

• pjazzypar said:

I had forgotten about the raisins (how cute). Happy Holidays to you.

• donald said:

this is quite the testement to what the industry does to artists. i can see it now. the temptations in the office a record exec who is like “you guys can make a comeback… but only as a friggin raisin”

• Monica said:

tlc… just wow.

i don’t remember anything from the “a different world” 12 days of christmas except ham hocks and a mc hammer cd. i am gonna go to look for the cephus and reecee(sp) one from “in living color”

• The True Urban Queen aka Sharon said:

TLC I like that one. I hear it on the radio around this time.

Salt and Peppa. . .I really haven’t heard that one before.

The raisins I forgot all about them.

For me my Christmas shows are the Grinch who stole Christmas (the old cartoon)
    And Charlie Brown Christmas with the sad little tree. . .Loves it.

• MrsGrapevine said:

The Grapes are doing The Temptations version of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. This is a classic in my house.

You lost me on the Diddy Christmas, I must have slept pass this one, and with ONyx. Where was I?

The TLC is becoming a classic. I just realized this year how much I like this song.

Merry Christmas!

• MrsGrapevine said:

BTW, what’s wrong with those overalls, didn’t everyone have a pair with T-boz hairstyle, or was that just me.

• Marvalus said:

@ MrsGrapevine…no it wasn’t just you! hee hee…

The Raisins doing the Temps?! I think that is against the law somewhere…and if it isn’t, it should be!

Happy Holidays!

• Regina said:

LOL!! Great picks! And wasn’t everyone in love with those dried up raisins!!

• Tha Connoisseur said:

It’s funny that you mentioned the Santa Baby version, as I saw it and paid attention for the FIRST time to the video. It was the firs time I noticed Justine. Apparently I am not too observant when tired…lol

Happy OSF

• jazzfan360 said:

Loooooooooooooove the Vinton special. I still got that on the VHS somewhere.