Black History Month Pop Culture Challenge Final Exam!
The Rules again:
– You will have until Sunday evening at 8:00 pm to submit your answers to me via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-I will post the answers and the top 10 scores every Tuesday.
-The quiz will be cumulative, so anyone can take the lead at any time! The best part is, because I love my readers so much, the winner gets a $100 gift certificate to iTunes, Target, or Amazon.com! I’m so for real!
The best way to go about this is to copy and paste the quiz into an e-mail, title the e-mail “Week One” insert your answers and send it to me. I will only accept one entry per week per person, and you may not use an anonymous e-mail address for submissions. Don’t leave answers in the comments because what’s the point of that?! Lastly, if you use the internet to find the answers you’se a CHEATER, but to guard against you sneaky petes not all of the questions can be answered through Google alone anyway so don’t even try to break fly!
1. Photo ID. This is the cast of what short-lived black sitcom? (5 points)
2. Name three black television theme songs written or performed by cast members. (10 points)
3. Who Am I? Name the singer/actor/composer on the far right of this photo. (10 points)
4. Name this Martin character and his signature song. (10 points)
5. Six Degrees of Angela Bassett. You’ve heard of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?” This is the black version because lord knows Angela Bassett has worked just as much as he has! Connect Angela Bassett to another celebrity using movies, television, or music. Easy example: How can you connect Angela Bassett to Larenz Tate? One path is that she was in How Stella Got Her Groove Back with Taye Diggs, who was in The Best Man with Nia Long, who was in Love Jones with Larenz Tate. Remember you can use tv, movies, or music, but not relationships like who’s dated whom, etc.
Can You Connect Angela Bassett with Roxie Roker? (10 points)
6. Hip Hop Quotable. “We like the _ _ _ _, the _ _ _ _ that go _ _ _ _/ we’re _ _ _ _ _ and _ _ _ _ _ and we _ _ _ _ the _ _ _ _” (5 points)
7. Random Math. Take the hour in the morning that Snoop’s freaks are leaving in “Gin and Juice” and subtract the hour in the morning that Ice Cube got Fatburger in “It Was a Good Day.” Multiply this by the hour that Jay Z goes to the club in “Do It Again,” and subtract the hour that Biggie’s pager goes off in “Warning.” (10 points)
8. The Obligatory Cosby Show question.
What occasion is Vanessa dressed for in this photo? (5 points)
What is the name of the pet in this photo? (5 points)
What brand of shirt did Theo want in this episode? (5 points)
9. Connections. What do these three actors have in common? (Joe Morton, Mario Van Peebles, James Earl Jones) (15 points)
10. Clear That Sample. Name the hip-hop song that sampled this track. (15 points)
BONUS READER APPRECIATION QUESTION: A romantic encounter made me question whether black love was dead. Why was this encounter so terrible? (10 points)