Black History Month Pop Culture Challenge Week 1!
In an effort to revitalize Black History Month for ’09, I am conducting a Black History Month Pop Culture Trivia Challenge. Every Monday I will post a new set of trivia questions and you will have until the following Sunday evening at 8:00 pm to submit your answers to me via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will post the answers and the top 10 scores every Tuesday. The quiz will be cumulative, so anyone can take the lead at any time! The best part is, because I love my readers so much, the winner gets a $100 gift certificate to iTunes, Target, or Amazon.com! I’m so for real!
The best way to go about this is to copy and paste the quiz into an e-mail, title the e-mail “Week One” insert your answers and send it to me. I will only accept one entry per week per person, and you may not use an anonymous e-mail address for submissions. Don’t leave answers in the comments because what’s the point of that?! Lastly, if you use the internet to find the answers you’se a CHEATER, but to guard against you sneaky petes not all of the questions can be answered through Google alone anyway so don’t even try to break fly! And yes, there will always be an extra credit bonus question that loyal readers will have an easier time answering.
1. Photo ID. This is the cast of what 1970’s sitcom? (5 points)
2. Government Names. Give me the popular name of each of these black music artists. (2 points each)
3. Random Math: Take the number of Tops and multiply them by the number of “Heartbeats.” Subtract the number of original Wu-Tang members and add the number of Jodeci members. Show your work for partial credit! (5 points)
4. Six Degrees of Angela Bassett. You’ve heard of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?” This is the black version because lord knows Angela Bassett has worked just as much as he has! Connect Angela Bassett to another celebrity using movies, television, or music. Easy example: How can you connect Angela Bassett to Larenz Tate? One path is that she was in How Stella Got Her Groove Back with Taye Diggs, who was in The Best Man with Nia Long, who was in Love Jones with Larenz Tate. Remember you can use tv, movies, or music, but not relationships like who’s dated whom, etc.
Can you connect Angela Bassett to CCH Pounder? (10 points)
5. The Token White Person. For each show, name the token white character. (2 points each)
The Wayans Brothers
A Different World
6. Hip-Hop Quotable. Fill in the blanks, 2 points each. “This is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by the _ _ _, the black, and the _ _ _ _ _, with the _ _ _ on the road again, _ _ _ _ _!”
7. Who Am I? Name this woman and her 1960’s singing group. (10 points)
8. Who Am I? At 7’2, this actor specialized in playing monsters and such. Name one of his characters and this actor’s real name (5 points each).
9. The Obligatory Cosby Show Question. Name 5 friends of the Huxtable kids and which kid they were friends with. They don’t have to be recurring characters (3 points each).
10. Clear That Sample! The original song below was sampled for a hip-hop or r&b jam. Name the sampling artist and song. (15 points)
EXTRA CREDIT: Bonus Reader Appreciation Question: What is Thembi’s favorite television show EVER? (10 points)