Black History Month Pop Culture Challenge Week 2: Answers
This week’s quiz was intentionally tough, and you guys rose to the occasion! Since some people did last week’s quiz but not this week’s things are closer than expected. This week’s top scorers were:
1. Joy – 95
2. MrSmartGuy – 82
3. JazzFan360 – 77
4. Monica – 72
5. Lola – 70
With a bunch of people very close behind even if they didn’t play this week.
That leaves the current standings at:
1. Joy – 205
2. MrSmartGuy – 192
3. Monica – 167
4. JazzFan360 – 162
5. Danielle – 155
This is a pretty close race…Week 3 will be up shortly. Now for the answers!
1. Photo ID. This is a photo from what short-lived 1980’s sitcom? (5 points)
The New Odd Couple
2. What 1990’s sketch comedy show featured the crowd-rousing “hum to a roar”? (10 points)
Uptown Comedy Club. That show was great! Monica, thanks for reminding me of the skit “Two Africans at the Movies.”
3. Who Am I? Here is a throwback photo of a veteran actress. Name her (or one of her characters). (10 points)
This is Rosetta LeNoire, also known as Mama Winslow on Family Matters.
4. Six Degrees of Angela Bassett. You’ve heard of “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?” This is the black version because lord knows Angela Bassett has worked just as much as he has! Connect Angela Bassett to another celebrity using movies, television, or music. Easy example: How can you connect Angela Bassett to Larenz Tate? One path is that she was in How Stella Got Her Groove Back with Taye Diggs, who was in The Best Man with Nia Long, who was in Love Jones with Larenz Tate. Remember you can use tv, movies, or music, but not relationships like who’s dated whom, etc.
Can you connect Angela Basset to Diahann Carroll? (10 points)
There are dozens of ways, a popular route was to go from Angela Bassett’s guest spots on The Cosby ShowA Different World where Diahann Carroll has a recurring role as Whitley’s mother. over to
5. Hip-Hop Quotable: “Mirror , mirror on the wall /tell me, mirror, what is wrong?/Can it be my De La clothes/Or is it just my De La song?” (10 blanks, 1 point each) – This quotable is from “Me, Myself, and I,” by De La Soul.
6. Random Math. Take the percentage of Crystal Waters “Pure Love” and subtract the number of “problems” Jay-Z has. Multiply this by the number of things Des’Ree says you “Gotta Be,” and add the number of whole days Toni Braxton waited to hear from her boo. Show your work for partial credit. (5 points)
100% Pure Love – 99 Problems = 1 X Des’ree said you “Gotta Be” 9 things = 9 + Tony Braxton waited 7 days = 16
7. This is a screenshot from which hip-hop video? (10 points)
“Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See,” Busta Rhymes
8. Obligatory Cosby Show Question. There is only one woman that Claire has ever been jealous of when it comes to her and Cliff. Name her. (10 points)
The only woman Claire was ever jealous of was Eunice Chantilly. She came up a few times during the series’ run, most memorably during “Isn’t It Romantic,” season 6, episode 20. I am so proud at how many of you got this one, and how many of you were proud of yourselves too!
9. Connections What do these three actors have in common? They are not the only black actors to share this commonality. Left to Right – Michael Beach, Tisha Campbell, Jesse L. Martin (15 points)
This was not easy and only Monica and Malcolm answered correctly. All three of these actors have portrayed HIV positive characters – Michael Beach twice on ER and Law and Order SVU, Tisha Campbell on A Different World, and Jesse L. Martin in Rent.
10. Clear That Sample. What 90’s hip-hop song sampled the track below? (15 points)
This was a tough one. Minutes 3:03 – 3:06 of this song, Coltrane’s “Impressions,” form the bassline for Black Sheep’s “The Choice is Yours.” Check out that section and remind yourself with this video.
BONUS READER APPRECIATION QUESTION: There are a few black people I can’t stand. Name two. (10 points)
The correct answer can be found in my archives in the post “The Only Black People I Can’t Stand Pt I.” I gave partial credit for any reasonable answers, but they are Tony Sinclair, The Pine Sol Lady, T.C. Carson aka Kyle Barker, and The Big Universal Studios Lady.