Home » Old School Fridays

Old School Fridays: Songs With “Heart” In The Title

6 March 2009 10 Comments

I already posted two of my appropriate faves –  Tevin Campbell’s “Always In My Heart,” and Brandy and Wanya’s “Brokenhearted,”  – so now what? Well, for starters, that Mint Condition song that’s often called “Pretty Brown Eyes,” from 1991’s Meant To Be Mint, is really named “Breakin’ My Heart,” so there. Mint Condition is still at it and they’re slightly above average as a group, but this song has to be one of the best ever written and has really held up after 18 years. This of course, makes me feel rather old because I’d still call this a “fresh jam.”

Pet Peeve: when I hear a song that is supposed to have a rap verse during the bridge and wait patiently to hear said verse, only to find out that I’m already 2/3 of the way through the radio-friendly version which is, of course, devoid of any hip-hop influence whatsoever. 1990’s “Grove Is In The Heart,” by Dee Lite is a perfect example of the type of song this often happens with, which is why I made sure to post the version with Q-Tip on the bridge. Hmph!

OK can I let my inner white girl/80’s fiend/gay dance party lover out for 6-8 minutes? Will there ever be a song with the word “heart” in the title that’s more epic, more dramatic, more accessible to butchering through karaoke, and with a more over-the-top video than Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of The Heart?” from 1983? Nope, especially considering that the writer of this power ballad was inspired by the novel Wuthering Heights. Yep, it’s that classic!

Uploaded by

Check out other OSF Participants!

Electronic VillageFresh And FabDanielleKimMs GrapevineQuick|Marcus LANGFORDCassandra |iriegalMahoganyHagar’s DaughterLisa CChocl8tDPDallassouthJohnCC GroovyKreative TalkMarvalus One |ReginaClnmikeVivrant ThingAJSharonThe Creole PimpInvisible WomanBeleiver 1964CooperSJPBriaBklynQueen 86Hey ShaeFrom the BattlefieldThembiD SpotMalcolmPop Art DivaPjazzypar |MsLadyDeborah

• Regina said:

Great picks!
    I love anything by Mint Condition!
    I especially like Bonnie Tyler.
    I think Q-Tip was the best thing on that song!

• Marvalus said:

Mint Condition is THE band!

I used to bang out Bonnie Tyler on karaoke night…you know, back in the day…

Great choices!

• ThaConnoisseur said:

You have my favorite band – Mint Condition up here girl and you picked their BEST SONG EVER!! Nuff said on that.

And Bonnie Tyler was on my list too, so my inner white girl was rearing her head too…lol

Happy OSF 😀

• pjazzypar said:

Good choices Thembi, I always liked Mint Condition, my favorite being “What Kind Of Man Would I Be”. Happy OSF!

• LaJane Galt said:

Tanaa Gardner – Heartbeat

Michel’le- Something in My Heart

• jazzfan360 said:

Ooooooooooh MAN! Taana Gardner’s “Heartbeat” is that JAM! I still play that on the regular.

Call me crazy, but I really really expected “Dial My Heart” to be on here. I woulda laughed so hard.

• Thembi (author) said:

@jazzfan360
    I really wanted to do Tanaa Gardner but could not find a good video. That song is a real classic, I feel like someone remade it just not as well.

And I cant believe I missed on “Dial My Heart”! Doing OSF is a good way to figure out what’s missing from your library because I sure don’t have that.

• jazzfan360 said:

A forgettable ’90s girl group called Seduction covered “Heartbeat” and if I remember correctly stuck really close to the original, which of course simply made it inferior from the outset. DMX sampled it for something too, and of course Ini Kamoze swiped the foundation for “Here Comes the Hotstepper.” A lot of places around here do old-school and ’80s nights and I keep trying to get somebody to spin it for me, but no dice so far. Total classic and nobody knows it now, and you never hear it on the radio. One of the baddest basslines ever laid down.

• bklyn6 said:

Got a Broken Heart Again — Prince

I was trying to think of a song by the Jackson 5/Jacksons with the word heart in the title and all that comes to mind is “Heartbreak Hotel.” But, maybe this doesn’t count because they later changed it to “This Place Hotel.” :-/

Re: Dee-lite where in the world is Lady Miss Kier (sp?)

And is “Total Eclipse of the Heart” a torch song or what?