Home » News, Not Racist Cuz It's True., Our Shame, That Not-So-Fresh Feeling

Only A Blackgirl.

24 March 2009 9 Comments

Fort Pierce woman charged in burning of brother with curling iron

curliniron

— An 18-year-old woman accused of burning her younger brother with a curling iron after denying his request to take a shower faces a felony child abuse charge, according to a recently released arrest affidavit.

The 14-year-old victim told St. Lucie County Sheriff’s deputies that he walked in the bathroom late Sunday night and asked his sister, Zabrik Z. Byrd, if he could take a shower. Byrd, of the 3200 block of West Lake Drive, denied the request and locked the door.

The brother then opened the door with a knife and Byrd allegedly “used a curling iron and burned him on the chest and began punching him in the head,” the affidavit states.

Investigators saw a burn mark on Byrd’s brother’s chest and a cut on the bridge of his nose.

Byrd refused to speak with investigators and was arrested on a child abuse charge.

Thembi Says: I have a younger brother and we have gotten into it over the bathroom a few times; the very concept is as old as time or at least as old as J.J. and Thelma. We’ve both incurred a few injuries and I have never let him live down a certain incident involving a Q-Tip and my left eardrum particularly because I know he didn’t do it on purpose. We just aren’t that dysfunctional and it pains me that some siblings are. But what I find most disturbing about this news item is that only a blackgirl could end up being charged for mess like this. That and, judging by this photo, she never did get that curling iron poppin’ on her lil’ wrap. This really is why we don’t have nothin’ y’all. P.S. – Florida of course.

• ASmith said:

Lord, sweet baby Jesus…

I really am with you on this, Thembi. Only a black girl would get arrested for such. Don’t they know this is just how it is. Did he die? Nope. Alright then.

Umm, and this article says the neighbors noticed the burn mark. On his chest. First, how? Second, where’s the mama?

• Woe said:

When I clicked on this post, and seen “Fort Pierce” in the title of the article, I just knew the word “Florida” would be mentioned within the last two to three words of the post. (Sigh)

• Phil said:

Her bro definitely eats his lunch in the snitcheteria. He needs to man up and catch big sis with the super soaker in the eye. Thats how i used to roll.

• Dara said:

yeah umm…lil dude needed a shower so bad he was willing to pull a KNIFE on her though? their parents obvs never had the talk with them -don’t fight with your siblings, and DEFINITELY don’t pull weapons on them.

sheesh.

• GypsyEyes said:

Kay so on the one hand this whole thing is stupid and on the other… I don’t feel sorry for him. Here’s what I see, he tried to get in, she told him to wait, then he took it upon himself to get a knife and unlock the door, it doesn’t say this but words were exchanged(they had to be,) and he got popped one.

Maybe it’s because I’m the older sibling and have had a few run ins with a “too big for his britches, bit off more than he could chew” little brother but the only problem I really see here is the fact that the police were called. If he was 8 or 9 then yeah she was wrong but he’s 14, probably almost the same size as she was, and let’s not forget he entered the bathroom with a knife. Was she supposed to know what he intended to do with that knife if she didn’t let him have what he wanted? And I just have to ask why he couldn’t wait until she was done in the bathroom anyway? So she was supposed to just drop what she was doing because he wanted what he wanted when he wanted it? The whole situation points to the fact that he felt it was his right to kick her out of the bathroom because he wanted to be in there and so I doubt in her mind flipping on him was about taking a shower vs curling hair.
    A bad lawyer could get the charges dropped or the case thrown out.

• Regina said:

I don’t have a little brother but I do have a little sister…I still have marks on my legs from that brat kicking me in the shins!
    I also have five kids. That boy ain’t dead.
    What little boy do yall know who is dying to get in the shower that bad????
    But really no one knows what really went on there. I’m mad he called the police and what did the parents have to say about this ridiculous mess??

• jazzfan360 said:

I love how her expression is like, “You want summa this??”

• Tafari said:

The brother should have backed up off of her when she told his ass no. He mos def knew that she would set it off & she probably curling her as while he was fucking with her.

She must have burned the shit out of him.

Me & my siblings used to fight like cats & dogs but no one ever called the po-po.. That was just taboo.

Tafari

• JustBrowsing said:

I believe everyone should have their own bathroom in a house/home. If we can’t make it possible, then delay reproduction or matrimony. Pretty soon, we’ll have one bathroom for everyone in restaurants and other public places.