Home » Fresh Black Girls, Long Live the Colored Race!

Random Michelle Obama Sweatage

22 October 2009 16 Comments

Fact #1: I cannot now nor could I ever double dutch

Fact #2: I cannot double dutch because I came from private school to a public school where no one would let me have enough turns to learn how to do it.

Fact #3: When I tried to participate by turning the rope, I was called “double-handed.” I still don’t know what that means.

Fact #4: Due to the above events, there is a hole in the tapestry of my blackgirlness.

Fact #5: Michelle Obama is way blacker and doper than I am, because even though she is not very good at it, she has double dutched on the White House lawn!

mobamadd

AND she hula hoops.

mobamahula

More photos and video from the White House “healthy kids fair” at Huffington Post.

• bourgie, JD said:

Oh man, you’re double-handed?
    SMH now we’re even for me liking the Cha Cha slide.

• Dara said:

Not only does she hula hoop, but she hula hoops in a belted cardigan and fresh bangles.

i, too, sweat her.

• [fung'ke][blak][chik] said:

all the double handed black girls please stand up..lol
    i too suffered the double handed syndrome..lol
    does it have something to do with rhythm? still haven’t figured that part out..

• regina said:

Damn! You just gotta love her!! She stay on her grind and never seems to break a sweat!
    I am not double handed, matter of fact I’m the exact opposite! I was the best turner on the block BUT I couldn’t jump worth a damn!! I was one of those doing that “bout to jump in” dance outside the rope for 15 minutes! They stayed mad at me for that, but I got hit jumping in once and ever since I had a problem jumping in!
    And back when I had a waist I was a hell of a hula hooper!!

• naturalsugar said:

i was a tomboy and hated double dutch. i used to dig up worms and throw them on the girls while they played.
    under WWTD tutelage, i am beginning to sweat our first lady as well.

• PPR_Scribe said:

Finally! The first legitimate reason to hate on the First Lady! LOL

I, too, could not double dutch, as much as I wanted to and tried. I was relegated to standing on the sidelines intoning the chants and rhymes. I also could not “pop” gum–yet another deficit that, I have been informed, makes me less Blackgirlish. I also never learned how to braid/cornrow. I struggled for years trying to perfect my meager skills when I gave birth to twin girls.

*sigh*

Oh, well, I used to be the cool Black female friend of my White friends but now even they know that I am no Michelle Obama…

• Treina said:

I sweat Michelle, too! I could only jump double dutch if the turners knew how to start someone off inside the ropes (I was too chicken to jump in). I wasn’t double-handed, though, so turning was usually all I was allowed to do…

• Cille said:

They used to relagate me to the role of “babydoll” as if I was some precious creature…you would get your turn after like two hours and you had to take advantage of the time given cuz you were not going to see the inside of the ropes again for awhile. But my 1 year at a all black catholic school in North Philly got me caught up to speed and by the time I was secure in my skills, I was sent back to a private school where a great education and extracurricular activities reigned supreme…instead of playing double dutch at recess we walked to the Starbucks for lattes.

• Monica said:

@Cille, you’re lucky they called you “babydoll”. We called the girls who couldn’t turn “ragdoll” and treated them like butt.

I will be amazed if I can translate double handedness into English but here is my attempt. Ahem. Normal turning is done with a steady 1-2 beat. If you’re double handed, it’s more of a 1-1.5 pause beat. make sense? hmm

I was secretly double-handed too but everyone always thought it was the other person because I was the best jumper and no one would dare accuse me :)

• Luvvie said:

*sigh* I was also relegated to sidelines to watch double Dutching.

1. I’m Nigerian. I ain’t grow up learning how to double dutch

b. I was also told I was wack for being “double-handed.” Methinks its what folks made up for people who arent pros at it.

3a. I’m ‘shamed

*pouts*

Oh, and I love Michelle O!

• don said:

We may never again witness this @ the White House. Er, Black House.

• Nacnette said:

Michelle Obama is very charismatic just like her husband and it is the reason why i like her. I also feel that she could connect with people more easily than any other first ladies.

• Tamara said:

I, too, can not double dutch.

Why must I cry?

• jazzfan360 said:

I did not have a crush on Michelle Obama. Then I saw her running and hula hooping on the South Lawn. I sweat her muchly.

• arthritislady said:

I saw Michelle Obama in person and she is really a very tall Lady. She is also a very charming and charismatic woman just like his husband.

• Val said:

love it and love her! terrific post!!